Recent Fire Damage Posts
Repairing and Restoring Fire Damage in New Providence
We can quickly get fire and odor damage under control in your New Providence home.
SERVPRO Fire and Smoke Damage Technicians Can Help Rescue your New Providence Home
Fires can spread quickly through a home, latching onto combustible materials like woods and fabrics. Leaving candles, stoves, or electronics unattended can all contribute to a property disaster that often requires professional help to restore. SERVPRO is a local organization that can help return your home to a preloss condition after an emergency.
The impact of fire damage in your New Providence home can vary depending on where it began, the type of belongings that ignited, and whether doors or windows were open. One of the most significant impacts is smoke which can travel quickly through a home and leave behind unpleasant odors or residues. Combustion increases the temperature in an indoor space which in turn causes air to rise rapidly and push cooler air toward the floor. This pressure often results in the heaviest smoke deposits directly above the flames, while lower portions of the room, such as carpets or floors, only sustain moderate damage. Placing old sheets or towels over belongings, surfaces, and floors immediately after extinguishing flames can help reduce damage by covering items from falling soot or ash.
At SERVPRO, our goal is to restore your home to a preloss condition. But there are many steps in that process because a disaster like this can affect your home in many ways. First, our technicians must clear the property of all non-salvageable materials. Common materials damaged beyond repair are flammable ones such as draperies, wallpaper, and textiles. Sometimes parts of a building assembly, such as gypsum board, maybe deemed non-salvageable due to intense penetration from smoke. Our approach is to divide these tasks among our team members to ensure that the work is completed as quickly as possible. A production technician works on disposing of debris and storing or packing away items to clean later. Simultaneously, our crew chiefs set to work pre-testing smoke damages and with your adjuster to provide a verbal estimate.
Early Stages of Restoration
- The service team receives your notification of loss and arranges equipment, trucks, and personnel for arrival at your home within four hours.
- Technicians pre-test smoke deposits and charred materials to produce a verbal estimate with your adjuster.
- Technicians arrange dumpsters for debris removal and work to pack away salvageable items for restoration later.
A critical part of restoration is odor control. Odor particles are volatile particles that are released when materials combust. Synthetic materials remove the most pungent odors, but the burning of organic materials can also fill a property with a burning smell. Odor particles gradually dissipate by themselves, but we understand that the several weeks this dissipation takes can be unacceptable to homeowners and affect your quality of life at the property. We have specialized odor control technicians (OCT) that have an arsenal of equipment to counteract malodors. Despite this technology, it can often be the case that odors are dealt with through thorough cleaning and smoke removal. Our team can use various methods to control odor when that is not the case.
Equipment for Removing Smoke Odors from Home
- Air Filtration Devices (AFDs) can be set up in your home to extract microscopic particles from the air and pass them through filters. AFDs can often indirectly reduce odor.
- Hydroxyl generators use UV-C rays to neutralize odors or compounds from indoor air and are safe to use in properties with occupants or pets.
- oZone generators release an unstable gas into the area that eliminates odor. However, O3 gas is harmful, meaning these machines require temporarily vacating the property.
If an accidental fire damages your home, contact SERVPRO of Western Union County for fire damage restoration at (908) 791-9177.
Fire Restoration Building Services Provided by SERVPRO in New Providence
If you find yourself in need of assistance with fire damage remediation, call SERVPRO.
Fast Fire Damage Restoration Saves Time and Costs for New Providence Homeowners
Homeowners are often overwhelmed after a fire damages their homes in New Providence. The devastation from the fire, the odor of smoke residue throughout the house, and the damage from the efforts of the fire department to quell the fire can be extensive.
SERVPRO can assist clients with fire restoration and cleanup of their New Providence home after a fire. Our SERVPRO technicians have a great deal of experience with fires. We are onsite within four hours of your call and ready to begin fire restoration as soon as your insurance company approves. Our approach is as follows:
- Remove damaged contents that cannot be cleaned or repaired
- Removal of damaged structure – cabinets, drywall, flooring, ceiling tiles, etc.
- Non-porous items are cleaned, deodorized, and removed for safe storage
- Cleanup and odor removal throughout the home
Once your home is ready for reconstruction, many homeowners are faced with finding drywall installers, electricians, and plumbers. Then the arduous task of ordering and installing new cabinets and appliances, flooring, and many more tradespeople before your home is returned to its original condition. Let SERVPRO help with a seamless transition from cleanup to building back.
This restoration phase after a fire is also overwhelming for many consumers. SERVPRO provides construction, building remodeling, and restoration services. We coordinate all trades to reduce the time needed to complete repair and restoration. Our efforts reduce the total cost to the client as well and include the following:
- General contracting
- Plumbing, electrical, flooring, roofing, insulation, drywall, painting, etc.
- Furniture restoration and cleaning inside and outside your home
- Temporary services, including roof tarps, board up, and warehouse space to protect your recovered and cleaned contents
We aim to return your home to its original condition, “Like it Never Even Happened.”
Call SERVPRO of Western Union County for fire restoration services. We provide service to New Providence and nearby areas. We can help 24/7. Call (908) 791-9177.
Become Familiar with New Providence Fire Damage Disaster Recovery
New Providence homeowners love how SERVPRO restores their fire damaged properties. "Like it never even happened."
Before We Begin Cleaning Smoke Damage in New Providence Homes
As much as homeowners want to have their properties back to preloss conditions as quickly as possible, rushing to restore New Providence residences after a fire can do more harm than good. With every scenario offering unique challenges for even our professional SERVPRO fire restoration specialists, we must carefully determine the full scope of the damage, the spread of these conditions, and the most efficient and practical approaches to fully restoring the property.
Smoke damage and effects can be among the worst lingering examples of fire damage in New Providence homes after an emergency. Because of its ability to affect the property in more than one way, our Fire & Smoke Restoration Technicians (FSRT) must stay trained in the latest and most effective practices for addressing residues, debris, and odors that smoke effects can leave behind. Before we can begin cleaning damaged areas, however, there are preliminary steps to help ultimately make these restorative actions more successful.
One of the first steps we must take is identifying the full extent of these damaging residues. Between smoke and soot, coatings could spread out far from the initial source of the fire. Careful inspections can determine how fire and smoke moved through the structure and residues directly impacted each surface. We would also use this opportunity to determine the type of residue, as there are different practices for restoring smoke, soot, and other coatings we might encounter after a fire.
Before cleaning the residue away, we must consider the type of surface and the best approach to capture and remove soot and smoke particles from this material. Because of a bonding that occurs, which can also lead to staining with improper cleaning techniques, taking an extra bit of time to identify the best cleaning approach for the material type protects both the material itself and prevents particulates from getting stirred up into the air.
Fire loss incidents can affect your home in many ways, but our SERVPRO of Western Union County team can help. (908) 460-5426.
Post-Fire Tips Before Restoration Begins in Scotch Plains Homes
Fire damage mitigation services by SERVPRO are second to none. Our IICRC certified technicians are ready at a moment's notice. Call now!
Several steps can help you avoid costly damage or injury after a Scotch Plains house fire.
Many property owners do not know what to expect after a fire in their home or business. Loss effects spread fast in a structure, so understanding the best possible approaches you can implement on your own saves time on the restoration process yet to come.
Leaving the House Behind
One of the first important things to remember before fire damage restoration in Scotch Plains properties in the time immediately following extinguishment: get out of the house if you should. Small flare-ups and fires might not displace your family, but do not overlook the intensity and potential harm of soot and smoke residues.
Quick Tips to Protect What Matters Most
Knowing some of the steps you can take after a fire loss incident before our professionals arrive can increase restoration speed to get life back to normal fast for homeowners and families. There are a few quick tips to protect your residence better, including:
- Avoid washing any walls.
- Do not try to clean carpets or furniture.
- Limit movement in the house to avoid spreading soot particles.
- Do not operate electrical equipment unless they have been cleaned.
- Change your furnace filter and tape cheesecloth over air registers if your HVAC system has been running.
Relying on the Expertise of SERVPRO Professionals
While there might be steps that a homeowner can do to reduce the effect of a fire on their property, you still must ultimately rely on the experience and fast response of our FSRT-certified professionals.
Knowing how you can help your property after a fire is critical. Quick actions can save you time and money, allowing the full restoration process to be dramatically shortened. Our SERVPRO of Western Union County team can work fast to overcome odors, soot, smoke damage, and water damage after a fire. Call today at (908) 791-9177.
Can Emergency Services Protect New Providence Homes After a Fire?
SERVPRO fire damage restoration for your home is the right choice. We will be on-site within 4 hours of the initial call.
The Type of Mitigation and Emergency Services Changes After Each Fire in New Providence Homes.
Homes contending with fire damage can be easily overwhelmed by odors, soot particles, and post-fire extinguishment residues. We strive to provide homes with a fast and reliable response during the crisis, starting actions like emergency services to help.
What are Emergency Services Meant to Do?
The objective of emergency services for fire restoration in New Providence homes is to prevent more significant harm to the property while initial mitigation and restoration services get underway. Ultimately, successful emergency services reduce the expense of claims and minimize the disruption of your daily life when restoration gets started.
What Emergency Services Help After a Fire?
A typical initial approach to restoring structures after water damage is a thorough evaluation of the grounds. Proper damage assessment ensures we focus restoration approaches to the most pressing concerns identified.
After water damage incidents, complete drying and restoration of a compromised home or business involve several intricate practices and approaches. Initially, we can work on removing standing water and pressing concerns using advanced drying tools before greater restoration steps follow.
Establishing viable electricity is a much-needed action when our team first arrives. Many fires can compromise internal circuitry, limiting available power without implementing our trailered generators.
Despite a greater degree of deodorization happening towards the end of the restoration process, initial smoke damage removal like this can better protect the structure and its contents from harm.
Fires can have a hazardous impact on the home, even bringing in bugs or vermin or agitating existing pests. Extermination is often necessary after fire damage to a home or business to manage these threats.
With several emergency services possible when our SERVPRO of Western Union County team first arrives, we can take several unique approaches to protect damaged buildings. Give our experienced team a call today at (908) 791-9177.
Tips for Handling Fire Damage in New Providence
When the firefighters leave your New Providence residence--Then SERVPRO is prepared for smoke and fire damage cleanup and restoration
SERVPRO Provides Efficient Fire Damage Repairs in New Providence
Fire has a devastating impact on homes. It creates potentially expensive structural destruction and can leave premises uninhabitable for a long time. A delay in hiring professional fire restorers can cause further deterioration of the affected structures and contents.
SERVPRO can perform expert fire damage restoration in your New Providence residence. Water damage often accompanies fire damage due to firefighting efforts. We have the equipment required to tackle the combination of soot, ash, and water. Our fire cleanup services may include:
- Removing debris
- Smoke damage cleanup
- Water removal and drying
If there is water, our SERVPRO team can remove it using pumps and then dry the affected areas using air-moving equipment. Air movers work by enhancing evaporation at the surface level and replacing the saturated, cool boundary layer with drier, warmer air from dehumidifiers.
After a fire, smoke residues can travel from areas that differ in pressure and temperature, causing soot damage and odors to spread throughout a house. Therefore, it is essential to clean the affected area beyond the debris and visual damage before conducting aesthetic restoration. Some smoke residues are corrosive to surfaces. Our SERVPRO team can wipe residues off light-colored painted surfaces, plastic surfaces, Formica countertops, and the tops of furniture with finished surfaces. We can also clean and protect metal surfaces, which contain iron and chrome trim.
Smoke residues contain solid particles that mainly consist of carbon. The moisture that contacts the particles might cause them to get absorbed by the surfaces and get difficult to remove. We can remove dry particles loosely attached to surfaces by vacuuming. Our SERVPRO team usually vacuums dry smoke residues from surfaces before applying wet cleaning products.
SERVPRO of Western Union County can help you to tackle fire damage responsibly. Our 24-hour hotline is (908) 791-9177.
Factors that Impact Restorability of Fire-Damaged Berkeley Heights Homes
A fire can be overwhelming all on its own, not to mention what steps need to be taken. Call SERVPRO of Western Union County for help.
Variables of structural cleaning impact the ease of restoration for Berkeley Heights residences.
Structural cleaning is necessary after soot and smoke exposures, but this process can happen in several ways. Choosing the ideal approach shortens restoration time and better protects the property overall.
A Thorough Pre-Job Scoping
The earliest stage of fire damage restoration for Berkeley Heights homes and businesses is a thorough assessment of the property. Knowing where damage exists and the extent of work to be done can focus restoration efforts and ensure technicians arrive with the appropriate tools.
Structural Cleaning Variables to Consider
Choosing the right cleaning approach is not universal to fire loss scenarios. Multiple variables determine how to restore affected structural elements and contents, including:
- Washable or Non-Washable – One of the main determining factors for the restorability of specific materials is the cleaning they can endure. Some affected surfaces cannot support wet cleaning of any kind.
- Porosity – How readily that smoke odors and soot particles can infiltrate surfaces to impact the composition of the material is a deciding factor in choosing the best cleaning option for the damage.
- Type of Soil – Soil is often either water-based or oil-based, and this will require very different cleaning approaches to resolve.
Choosing the Best Cleaning Approach
As soon as you have determined the type of damage and the affected materials, our team can decide the ideal cleaning solution. Often, soot removal can require either wet cleaning approaches or dry removal tactics. Harsh soil deposits typically need the dissolving or emulsification effects of specific chemical compounds in our inventory.
Many obstacles can most certainly stand in the way of effective and efficient fire restoration and recovery. When a fire threatens your residence, our SERVPRO of Western Union County team responds fast with leading equipment and experienced technicians to make it “Like it never even happened.” We are ready to help 24/7 at (908) 791-9177.
Are Move-Outs Mandatory After Fire Damage in New Providence Homes?
Fire damage restoration for your home is an easy choice. SERVPRO IICRC certified technicians will be ready at a moment's notice to help.
SERVPRO Evaluates the Loss to Determine Whether Move-Outs Are Best Suited for the Situation
Disorganization and accumulation of debris are characteristic in homes after a fire incident and may necessitate relocating some items. Moving items creates order and, more importantly, frees up space to complete cleanup conveniently at your New Providence home.
Since, in many cases, restoration of fire damage in New Providence homes is possible without performing a move-out, you should evaluate the situation to determine whether the incident at your premises necessitates one and how best to do it. When you involve a professional like SERVPRO, decision-making is much simpler.
A move-out is necessary after fire damage if:
- Some items require specialized cleaning
- Vast sections of the structure, especially ceilings, are heavily soiled
- Other restorative actions, apart from cleaning, are necessary, like demolition
Moving items haphazardly can create more problems than what you want to avoid. For instance, mixing heavily soiled items with clean ones transfers the soiling, increasing the number of items you need to clean. Breakage and staining are also possible problems when items are poorly handled. SERVPRO can help you avoid such issues by carefully managing the move-out. For instance, we evaluate and group items based on damage levels and materials.
Preparing the contents to be moved also helps ensure the cleanup process runs smoothly. Our SERVPRO technicians pre-clean and dry contents before packing them for transportation. Using several packing boxes is also essential.
SERVPRO of Western Union County can help you choose the best solutions to address fire damage in your home, “Like it never even happened.” Call us at (908) 791-9177.
What Simple Action Can Change the Outcome of Fire Damage Restoration in New Providence Homes?
Fire damage resulting from an event can catch you by surprise. Contact Team SERVPRO to come out and assess the situation and formulate a custom plan.
You Can Expect Better Results When SERVPRO Does a Thorough Scope of Fire Loss at Your Property
After your property is affected by a fire, you can get help from different quarters, whether it is from family, friends, or professionals. Before seeking or accepting such help, it might be wise to consider what is essential in addressing the damage left at your New Providence home, thus ensuring no time wastage or accumulation of unnecessary costs.
The fire damage restoration process your New Providence property requires can vary based on many factors like the duration of the fire, what sparked it, and the materials reached by the flames. In some cases, extensive cleaning is necessary, while in other cases, tear down of deteriorated materials helps. Safety procedures such as assessing the structural integrity of the entire building or sections such as the roof might also be necessary. Assistance from a professional team like SERVPRO ensures that all issues can be addressed simultaneously.
Thoroughly scoping the loss is one of the crucial assistance professionals offers, and it includes:
- Testing cleanability
- Scoping the spread of smoke residues
- Testing pre-existing conditions
Knowing the level of each problem leads to better decision-making or resource allocation. For instance, instead of simply assuming that charred structural supports such as frames need replacement, our SERVPRO IICRC-certified technicians check the char-depth to make an informed decision. Various other tests help reveal the level of staining, moisture absorbed, among other things.
SERVPRO of Western Union County performs all the necessary actions to ensure fire damage restoration delivers satisfactory results. Call us at (908) 791-9177. We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Does Fire Damage Restoration in Berkeley Heights include Contents?
Did a recent fire cause damage on your property? SERVPRO technicians can assist you through the fire damage remediation process.
SERVPRO in Berkeley Heights Can Help Restore your Belongings After Fire Damage
Contents cleaning often requires special care and attention. It may be belongings that you wear, your children play with, or hold sentimental value. Our technicians have specific protocols for content restoration after a fire that aims to address odor, staining, or soiling issues.
Contents that show signs of fire damage in your Berkeley Heights home may require urgent attention to avoid permanent harm. Clothing can be an item that requires immediate attention as smoke or odor particles have the potential to bond with synthetic materials on a molecular level.
- Technicians can organize cleaning clothing in order of priority with everyday items returned to you quicker.
- Using compressed air, we can remove dust, soot, and odor particles without causing harm to the fabric.
- Solvent-based odor counteractants can be used to return clothing items to a preloss condition.
We can help save your belongings after a fire. Contact SERVPRO of Western Union County for fire damage restoration at (908) 791-9177.
How Much Does Fire Damage Restoration Cost in New Providence?
Affected by a recent fire? Call SERVPRO for effective fire damage remediation services. Our technicians are standing by for your emergency call.
SERVPRO Use a Restore over Replace Method to Reduce Fire Damage Costs in your New Providence Home.
New Providence's borough exists alongside the Passaic River in New Jersey and is famous for its wildlife. The region is historically significant as being one of the earliest settlements in the United States. Essentially a puritan colony, New Providence's early life was focused on agriculture and trade along the Passaic River. The borough is home to several townships, including Berkeley Heights and historic hamlets. To the Northeast is the Great Swamp reservation which is home to over 244 bird species. The natural habitat is part of the National Wildlife Refuge System which seeks to preserve native wildlife. The Great Swamp Reservation has over 7,768 acres of land-mass, full of visitable wildlife centers like the Wildcat Ridge Refuge and the Willowwood Arboretum.
New Providence is characterized by its surrounding wetlands and wildlife centers but has evolved to provide contemporary theater, historical tours, and performing arts. The Mayo Center, Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey, and the Paper Mill Playhouse are all within ten miles of the borough, offering a rotating selection of contemporary and traditional theatre. The New Jersey Performing Arts Center in nearby Newark regularly hosts the most refined international orchestras and symphonies. Some of its historic sites include Washington's Headquarters, a temporary base of operations during the American Wars, and Jockey Hollow, a winter encampment for the continental army during the eighteenth century.
- The Morris Museum of Arts and Sciences on Normandy Heights Road is run by a non-profit that seeks to celebrate the surrounding area's natural history. The center runs regular interactive exhibitions and tours that complement its substantial permanent collection.
- Branch Brook Park is a reservation for over 4,000 cherry trees, making it one of the largest collections of Japanese plants in the United States. The blossoming season is accompanied by a festival that attracts thousands of visitors to the New Providence region each year.
- The Museum of Early Trades and Crafts on Main Street boasts a collection of pre-industrial farming and agricultural equipment. Unique to the New Providence area, this collection explores how some of the earliest settlers in the regions survived in the seventeenth century.
SERVPRO Operates a Cost-Efficient Fire Damage Restoration Service for Residents of New Providence.
Fires can cause extensive harm to a property. However, with the correct mitigation procedures, many of these damages can be effectively reduced through:
- fire damage restoration
- fire and smoke damage
- smoke remediation
One method that is critical to reducing costs is to restore materials rather than replace them. SERVPRO technicians can mobilize industrial restoration equipment to help lessen the impact of a house fire in your New Providence Home.
- Immersion cleaning equipment uses ultrasonic sound waves to dislodge and remove soot particles from solid, non-porous items.
- Rotary brushes and machinery can help to buff damaged fabrics, carpets, and upholstery to return them to a preloss condition.
- Using state-of-the-art drying equipment, we can limit losses associated with water used in the firefighting procedure.
Restoring is often more cost-efficient than replacing. Contact SERVPRO of Western Union County for fire damage restoration at (908) 791-9177.
How to - Fire Damage
Soot and smoke residue is no easy task to get rid of. SERVPRO techs are trained and experienced with fire restoration services.
New Providence residents benefit most by letting skilled SERVPRO technicians handle the fire damage in their homes.
As a borough within Union County, New Providence is settled along the Passaic River. This helps form a county boundary alongside Morris County. The region is ever-growing, with the last noted population totaling 12,171 when the 2010 United States Census got taken.
Fun Fact: New Providence got its name from an incident in 1759 where a crowded balcony of the Presbyterian Church collapsed. Because nobody was injured and the event was deemed a miracle, it was considered a divine act of Providence. Right after, the town took on the name New Providence.
Exploring Facts and History from the New Providence, NJ, Area
There is a lot to learn and love about this portion of New Jersey state. Some of the more notable facts and points of interest regarding New Providence include:
- The first settlers in the region were members of a puritan colony, which was established in 1720.
- George Washington once spent the evening within a local home, a building that still stands today.
- Salt Brook, a local stream, was named after an incident involving a significant amount of the salt supply for the village getting dumped into the brook. This was done to prevent British soldiers from taking it as they passed through.
When in New Providence, you may also want to explore some of the local eateries or watering holes to spend some time enjoying the locals. There are many great establishments to experience, many of which include unique venues offering Italian fare or American cuisine, including:
- Bellariva Pizzeria and Restaurant – When you want casual dining, as well as a menu filled with Italian classics, this restaurant, fits the bill. The dishes are moderately priced, with some favorites including shrimp parmigiana, Margherita pizza, baked clams, and shrimp calamari salad.
- Moe’s Bistro & Bar – This is a cozy little restaurant that features a full bar and a vast assortment of beers on tap. Some of the menu offerings include succulent Mediterranean lamb and filet mignon cooked to perfection.
- Prestige Diner – This restaurant is known for comfort food, including a lot of home-cooking classics. Guests like this option for early lunch or excellent take-out.
- Coppola’s Ristorante – Whether you are looking for a specialty pizza, classic Italian dish, or decadent desserts, this restaurant has something for everyone.
A New Providence Blaze Calls for Prompt, Reliable Fire Damage Cleanup – Count on SERVPRO’s Team!
Fire in your New Providence home does not just impact what the flames touch, but other areas of the home succumb to soot and smoke residue. Additionally, water or chemicals may get left from putting out the fire, which also calls for painstaking cleanup efforts.
SERVPRO is available when you call us for fire damage in New Providence to:
- Locate and identify all residues
- Work on carefully capturing then removing soot and smoke residue
- Utilize methods for vacuuming or dissolving stubborn residues
- Controlled demolition to restore all unsalvageable materials
Extensive fire damage is no match for our skilled crew at SERVPRO of Western Union County. We are available 24/7 to get started right away should you have a fire emergency. Call us at (908) 791-9177 to deploy a crew to your property so we can get started.
Smoke Can Do Extensive Damage Even in Small Berkeley Heights Fires
Call SERVPRO after you experience a fire incident, we have training in fire & smoke restoration, odor control, upholstery & fabric cleaning.
Understanding the types of smoke and soot residue means better fire damage restoration.
Smoke and soot spread quickly to all areas of the home, causing odor and hidden damage. Our technicians know how to inspect and assess the extent of the damage and determine a plan of action. Immediate remediation is the key.
Different Types of Smoke
Fire damage restoration in Berkeley Heights begins by understanding the different types of smoke residue. They are either considered wet or dry. Each type requires different cleaning methods. Pretesting helps us determine if it is wet smoke, dry smoke, or protein residue. Once we know what we are working with we:
- Use the appropriate cleaning agents
- Brush off and vacuum dry smoke
- Use agitative techniques on impacted surfaces
- Deodorize the home
We provide fire damage restoration that is tailored to your situation. We know how even small fires can disrupt your life. We put everything we have into cleaning and restoring your home, so it is, “Like it never even happened.”
Contact SERVPRO of Western Union County at (908) 791-9177 and let the professionals mitigate your fire damage.
Berkeley Heights Can Take a Narrated Tour of the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History
Fire restoration is no DIY project. Call the IICRC technicians of SERVPRO for the experience you need. They use the newest equipment around.
Join in on a Virtual Tour of the Museum’s Halls from the Comfort of Your Berkeley Heights Home
Many places are offering virtual tours during this time of quarantine and restrictions. The Smithsonian has joined in this fantastic effort with narrated tours of the National Museum of History. Explore several exhibits and halls while learning about the content, all from your home. They currently have available:
- The Sant Ocean Hall
- The Hall of Human Origins
There are several videos in each group to check out, and they are adding more. There are other online tours and exploring you can do as well. They include:
- Permanent exhibits
- Past exhibits
- Specialty Tours
- Current exhibits
If your kids are doing school at home, it is a great way to incorporate history into their learning. It is all happening right now. Just head over to the NMNH Website and start exploring. You can also email them at email@example.com for more information.
SERVPRO Provides Fire Damage Services to Berkeley Heights
When fire strikes, SERVPRO of Western Union County provides clean up and fire damage services. Contact us at (908) 791-9177 for more information.
New Providence Health and Fitness Classes Delivered Virtually
SERVPRO will take away your fire fears. Call us immediately after a fire. We will have our teams on site right away!
Zoom Sessions to Raise Your Fitness Adeptness from Your New Providence Home
Finding the right exercise routine to attain your fitness goals can be a challenge. Sometimes a routine that you have established can become dull because of repetitiveness. Instead of giving up on the desire to keep fit, you can try various approaches, especially those that incorporate fun aspects. You can join other New Providence residents on December 14, 2020, to learn various exercise and fitness routines, including:
- Cardio sculpt express, which teaches how to use various weights and own body resistance during training
- Various types of Zumba, which is a dance fitness routine
- Basic yoga or specialized forms such as Hatha Yoga
The classes are perfect for people of all fitness levels. They are also scheduled to offer maximum convenience. For instance, there is a Yoga session scheduled around the lunchtime period. The body sculpt session is 45 minutes long to ensure it is impactful but not tiresome.
SERVPRO of Western Union County helps clean up and deodorize New Providence properties for fire odor elimination purposes. Call us at (908) 791-9177 so that we can help ensure your home regains its normal comfort levels.
How Do I Get Rid of the Smell After a Fire in New Providence?
Odors can linger for a long time after a fire. Contact SERVPRO for effective fire damage remediation services.
SERVPRO Provides Deodorization After A Fire in New Providence
A fire causes severe problems, and the foul odors that occur can make a home unlivable. Deodorization is an integral part of fire restoration cleanup in New Providence. Restoring your home is our goal, and this means getting rid of bad smells.
What steps do you take to treat odors from a fire?
Any home that has suffered fire damage in New Providence will have lingering odors. Our fire and smoke restoration technicians (FSRT) take several steps to clean your home. This includes getting to the source of nasty smells and clearing the house of noxious odors. If the odors remain, they can cause the following issues:
- Compromised air quality
- Increased health problems
- Ruin items in the home
- Make the home uninhabitable
The Sweet Smell of a Clean Home
The smells in a home after fire damage results from a mix of natural and chemical odors. Our Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) trained technicians know what to look for and how to treat it. It starts with the basics:
- Removing the source of the odor – this is the first and most crucial step. It could be charred wood, burnt building materials, or burnt carpet. Our IICRC techs provide safe disposal of any discarded materials.
- Surface Cleaning – smells can be a result of smoke and soot residue deposited on surfaces. All surfaces are cleaned and sanitized with the proper equipment and cleaner. Chemical containment, vapor odor control, and thermal foggers may be used.
- Sealing – When more steps are needed, or removal is too expensive or not feasible, sealing off the odor may be necessary. Examples of sealing would be to seal off unused ductwork or paint walls.
SERVPRO’s goal is to leave your home, “Like it never even happened.” No one wants to live with a lingering reminder of fire damage. We can clear up those odors in a safe and professional manner.
Contact SERVPRO of Western Union County at (908) 791 – 9177. We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster.
CLick here for more information about New Providence.
Do I Have to Wait to Start Cleaning Up After a Fire in New Providence?
Make sure that your home is safe to re-enter after a fire and then contact SERVPRO for remediation services. We are here 24/7.
SERVPRO Arrives Quick When Called to Your New Providence Home to Tackle Your Fire Damage Restoration Needs
While it is sometimes tempting to start in on the cleanup in New Providence immediately, it is essential to wait until first responders deem your structure safe. SERVPRO wants you to know that we can be at your location quickly so that we can handle the assessment and planning to restore your home to the preloss condition. Our crew acts fast so that you can get back to your routine faster than DIY methods alone. Additionally, the professional service and advanced techniques that we bring to each project ensure your interior is just “Like it never even happened.”
The Fire is Extinguished, Now What?
You can call us at SERVPRO 24 hours a day, seven days a week, when you need help with fire damage in New Providence. Our emergency restoration crew arrives promptly and mindfully assesses your interior while taking note of damage, debris, and airborne threats. We have the technology that DIY cleanup efforts cannot touch, including tried-and-true planning that allows us to tackle each obstacle that comes our way. Early mitigation is essential to limit the onset of secondary damage while also inhibiting hazardous effects from odors and mold growth.
Why Do I Need to Call the Professionals?
SERVPRO features highly-trained IICRC-certified technicians that pay attention to detail when it comes to fire damage restoration. Soot and smoke residue, as well as moisture from extinguishing the fire, gets into small crevices and cracks that the untrained eye often overlooks. We remove all debris and damaged materials in New Providence so that the restoration and replacement may commence. We put together a detailed plan for restoration using our best technology and resources, including:
- Pack Out services, including meticulous logging of all belongings, for cleaning off-site at our facility
- Careful removal of soot and smoke residue from all surfaces using wet or dry cleaning methods helps to inhibit corrosion
- Trained technicians clean walls, ceilings, and other impacted surfaces
- Structural inspection to ensure total safety
- Controlled demolition, when necessary to remove damaged materials and replace with new
Can I Use Some DIY Methods for Cleaning After the Fire?
With charred debris, stubborn soot, and pesky soot particles, it is best to leave the cleanup to trained professionals. Do-it-yourself cleaning often hinders the process and may lead to unnecessary secondary damage. Professional intervention following a fire helps to address a variety of issues:
- Portions of a structure after a fire must be assessed to determine stability, such as ceilings, floors, and walls.
- Toxicity is a concern due to the fire and residue left after a fire loss. We come in with personal protective equipment (PPE) to ensure the safety of our crew while also limiting the spread of debris throughout your home.
- Water or chemicals used to extinguish the fire may be in abundance when we arrive for mitigation. We address this immediately using extraction techniques and advanced technology, thus speeding up the restoration.
- Cleaning agents or methods used to clean soot and smoke residue varies depending on the materials burned in the fire. Our team is made up of technicians trained following the standards set forth by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification (IICRC) to tackle any size or scope fire loss.
- EPA-registered cleaning products and disinfectants help ensure your interior is clean and safe for you and your family to enjoy once again.
What Restoration and Cleaning Methods are Used to Treat Fire Damage?
Our technicians know that each restoration project is unique, so we treat it as such. We craft a plan that best suits the needs of your home and the nature of the fire. During our assessment, both dry and wet cleaning methods are often put into various steps.
- Wet: This cleaning method is excellent on hard surfaces and materials not damaged easily by water. Our crew might use water mixed with specialized cleaning agents that help to strip away the soot and smoke, which leaves the surface below refreshed and clean. We also have ultrasonic machines that use an aqueous solution of water, softener, and mild detergent. Using high-frequency sound waves, the pressure creates thousands of bubbles that help to loosen stubborn grime safely.
- Dry: This cleaning method helps address materials otherwise easily damaged with wet cleaning methods. We take a look at your books, antiques, electronics, and porous items and use brushes, towels, or sponges to loosen the residue and soot until your items are clean.
When you call on SERVPRO of Western Union County to help with fire damage, you may rest assured in knowing that your home is in excellent hands. Call (908) 791-9177 to have a trained crew deployed to your location to start the assessment process. We can be reached 24/7 for emergency cleanup and restoration.
Is It Necessary to Dispose of All Charred Materials After Fire Damage Incidents in New Providence?
Fire damage could leave lingering effects if not taken care of properly. Contact SERVPRO for assistance in mitigation.
Methodical Evaluation of the Damage and Use of Advanced Cleaning Techniques Can Help Salvage Some Materials
Containing a fire before it consumes your entire house should give you a reason to celebrate. Small fires sparked by unattended cooking or faulty electronic appliances are likely to leave localized damages a room or section of the property.
Significant charring is likely to affect materials such as storage cabinets, tables, walls, or ceilings. Deciding whether to tear everything down or search for fire damage restoration solutions in New Providence might be challenging, especially when you consider the work involved and the value of the affected items.
What determines whether a material can be restored?
- Depth of charring
- The type of finish
- Structural composition of a material
Since charring starts at the surface and progresses deeper as the fire rages, it can result in the deformation of the affected surfaces since heat does not spread uniformly. If it is too deep, the material might lose structural strength. Our SERVPRO technicians rely on visual observations or take measurements with a char depth gauge to determine whether charring is too deep. Such evaluation is especially necessary for materials made with thick blocks of wood.
The type of finish can influence the decision of whether to salvage an item or material. Finishes that can be reapplied conveniently after removing the charred material offer more flexibility. Some typical finishes in this list include:
Which is the best method to restore charred materials?
Before starting the restoration process, it is essential to remove hardware such as knobs and hinges from an item. Various methods can help remove the layer of charred material from a surface. Removal mostly involves standard abrasive methods such as sanding or wire brushing. However, they take time and might damage the underlying material. Our SERVPRO technicians also use advanced methods such as dry ice or soda blasting to restore charred surfaces since they do not cause additional damages.
With help from SERVPRO of Western Union County, you can salvage many items damaged by fire. Call us at (908) 791-9177 to help. We're Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Click here for more information about New Providence.
Can Carpets Get Cleaned for Reuse After a Fire?
New Providence, your fire damage needs SERVPRO’s tools and reliability.
With their advanced equipment and years of experience, SERVPRO can restore the carpet in your New Providence home after a fire loss.
There are a few key elements that need to happen after a fire loss in a New Providence home to ensure the carpet is restorable. In many cases, although a carpet covered in soot may be overwhelming to look at, it has possibilities for reuse through professional cleaning applications.
- The restoration services need to begin as soon as possible
- If water got used to extinguish the fire, it needs to have aged less than 24-hours
- The carpet should have no charring or melted areas
What Should Be Done First for a Carpet with Fire Damage?
If you have a New Providence home with fire damage that affects a room with carpet, one of the first actions you should do is to confer with your fire department to see if it safe for you to remain in the dwelling. Noxious smoke residues and soot have the potential to be an irritant and may not be healthy to stay around them. In the majority of cases, if the loss is in a single area that can get closed off, the fire department may say it is okay to remain within the property as long as the HVAC remains off and you avoid foot traffic throughout the loss area.
Cleaning and Removal of Other Items in the Rooms Damaged by Fire
The techs remove furnishings and other items on the carpet so it can get cleaned properly. As each element gets moved, the techs make a detailed report of the article, its location in the room as well as its condition. Items that need cleaning get transferred to an outside area for restorative cleaning actions. Any item too damaged for restoration gets disposed of only with the approval of the property owner or the adjuster.
Common Tactics for Carpet Restoration After Fire Loss
Before any cleanup begins on the carpet, the SERVPRO techs test the fibers to determine their likelihood of shrinkage, dye bleed, and material makeup. This assists the techs in choosing the correct cleaning solutions and methods that result in the best outcome.
- Extraction of any remaining water from fire extinguishing efforts
- Drying of the carpet using air movers
- Removal of soot from the fibers using vacuums
- Addressing of any residual staining or spots
- Deep steam cleaning to eradicate any remaining dirt, oils or odors
Equipment Crucial to Carpet Restoration After a Home Fire
SERVPRO technicians rely on different types of professional-grade equipment to assist in the restoration of the carpet. Containment using heavy gauge plastic keeps the airborne soot within the work area during mitigation. When needed, the technicians can create negative air chambers to capture and port away particulate. They also utilize air scrubbers to help improve air quality during the cleanup and restoration.
Portable pumps do the work to pull large amounts of water quickly out of the carpet and allow technicians to move on rapidly to the drying phase. In some cases, the carpet may need a particular drying application known as "floating." This method involves opening one side of the carpet and directing the flow of air movers underneath. In situations where only a portion of the carpet requires drying, the technicians can create custom tents using plastic over the wet areas only and dry them thoroughly.
Help With Filing Insurance Claims After a Fire in the Home
Although SERVPRO technicians attempt to save homeowners the cost of replacement for all types of structure and contents after a fire, it is not always possible. Any items that turned out to be a loss get a full, detailed report created that includes photos and descriptions to assist property owners in the filing of any loss claims with their insurance company. This report can aid in expediting the claims.
How Can Smoke Odors Get Removed from a Carpet?
After a fire, the pungent odor of smoke permeates anything porous; this includes carpet. The techs have the experience and advanced equipment to address any level of odor control needed to eradicate the distinctive, pungent scent that a fire can leave behind in a home. They frequently turn to applications such as thermal fogging or the safe but powerful hydroxyl generators for use on airborne particles.
Fire damage can spread throughout the home unless cleanup begins quickly. SERVPRO of Western Union County at (908) 791-9177 is available 24/7 to assist local property owners with the full restoration of their homes after a fire loss.
Ozone Deodorization for Fire Damage in New Providence Homes
SERVPRO of Western Union County is quick to get your fire damage and Odor under control.
Removing Odors Effectively After Fire Damages Your Home
Numerous tools get used in the deodorization needs of a New Providence home after fire losses. Addressing this widespread concern is rarely left to one device alone, but rather a blend of the top machines that our SERVPRO team uses to meet the neutralization needs in various areas of your property. Thermal foggers, for example, might be better used for confined areas and soft materials, whereas ozone generators have different applications in a fire-damaged residence.
Identifying the best equipment to use for varying levels of fire damage in your New Providence home begins with the inspection process. It is often not challenging to determine the spread and migration of odor concerns, but choosing the right tool and product to address these obstacles is not as straightforward as it might seem. In many situations discarding debris and damaged structural systems can reduce the severity of smoke and fire odors before we implement tools like the ozone machines.
How It Works
You cannot appreciate how ozone generators can help your home without realizing how they work. Ozone is created by breaking down oxygen into two molecules. When these new rogue molecules bond with oxygen in the environment, they create a new compound with three oxygen molecules attracted to odor compounds. Harsh odors bond with this irregular compound and get neutralized. The creation and presence of ozone are harmful to living creatures, so its use must get carefully monitored.
How It Gets Used
Our SERVPRO professionals have standalone equipment for use in a house to utilize this environmental cleaning process for clearing out odors in the residence. In addition, we have a chamber at our warehouse to deodorize entire lots of contents taken from fire-damaged homes to restore them.
While we might have numerous deodorization tools, ozone machines are a common choice for their practical action and absolute odor neutralization. However we can help your house feel like home again after a fire loss, give our SERVPRO of Western Union County team a call at (908) 791-9177.
Want to know more about New Providence?
Fire Damage In Your New Providence Home
SERVPRO of Western Union County is always prepared to be Faster to Any Size Disaster.
Cleaning up Rooftop Fire Damage in New Providence
From 2013 to 2017, 27% of all reported fires occurred in homes, causing over 10,000 civilian injuries and almost $7 billion in property damage. The most common causes of these home structure fires included cooking, electrical distribution, lighting, heating, fire-setting, and smoking. However it occurs, if it spreads to the roof, the cleanup and restoration involved can seem overwhelming even to consider.
If your New Providence residence requires a fire emergency-response team that can restore your home after disaster strikes, SERVPRO technicians are ready to help. These pros use the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) standards to bring homeowners a consistent and high-quality clean every time. SERVPRO is available 24/7 to handle fire-related disasters in over 1,700 franchise locations in the United States and Canada.
Protecting Your Roofing from Fire
• Clean your roof. Even if you use fire-resistant, Class A materials, they can still ignite and burn after long-term exposure to high temperatures. To prevent this, remove debris regularly or have a trusted professional take care of it.
• Clean your chimney regularly. Creosote deposits and flammable materials can spark a flame in no time under the right conditions. A clean chimney does not have flammable deposits, which means there is little organic material to fuel a fire that could spread through the chimney and onto your roof.
• Keep flammable debris away from your home. Trim trees, keep the area around your home clean and minimize attached structures that could allow a fire to spread.
• Monitor your electrical system. In many homes, wiring and electrical systems can be near or on the roof, including HVAC, lighting, and conduit pipes. Keep your electrical system in good shape and minimize debris around it to prevent an electrical fire.
SERVPRO Preserves Your Home
When occupants have vacated after a fire, SERVPRO uses a strict set of safety procedures to ensure safety during the restoration process. Openings caused by the fire are boarded up, and technicians examine the area for loose roof trusses and floor joints. If sprinklers or fire fighting efforts have saturated the area, water damage mitigation procedures are performed first.
Technicians take care to preserve pipes to prevent freezing and bursting with antifreeze in situations where access to water is restricted. SERVPRO can also implement power sources if there is no access to electricity. Technicians may deodorize the area with thermal foggers and HEPA filter air scrubbers before cleaning and taking inventory of damaged goods if substantial damage has taken place.
SERVPRO of Western Union County is always prepared to be Faster to Any Size Disaster. When you need disaster cleanup services from experienced pros, you can call (908) 791-9177.
For more about New Providence click here.
Space Heater Safety
When the weather begins to cool down, the use of things like space heaters will continue to increase. If used improperly, they can cause some serious damage. Luckily, there are a few ways to try and avoid this!
When using a space heater that burns fuel, like a kerosene heater, always use the manufacturer's specified fuel.
Another important idea to remember is to always turn of portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed. If not, an unsupervised space heater can cause an unpleasant surprise.
The last tip to remember is to plug the space heaters directly into outlets, never into an extension cord or power strip.
By following these simple tips, we hope you are able to avoid a visit and call to us here at SERVPRO of Western Union County!
Fire Restoration Process
Here at SERVPRO of Western Union County, one of the things we pride ourselves on is our process after someone experiences a fire. We work tirelessly in order to get their life back.
- Call Us - Once we receive your call, we have a manager come and evaluate the extent of the damage.
- Emergency Board Up - We have our crew tarp any damaged portions of your roof, windows, or doors. This tarp creates a waterproof barrier and protects from break-ins.
- Mitigation - We extract any water from the property that might be left from the fire department.
- Pack Out - Once we have the approval from the insurance company, we pack the contents of your home and move them to our cleaning facility.
- Cleaning - We have our crews clean different parts of the home. Our crews can clean furniture, clothes, toys, electronics, and more.
- Pack Back - Once your home is ready, we have all of your belongings delivered back to you.
We take pride in this process and the success we have had in the past. If you ever find yourself in this situation, give SERVPRO of Western Union County a call at (201) 496-6024.
Grilling Safety Tips
With barbecue season upon us, we find more and more that tragedy can strike due to grills. Although it seems like something we use daily, without the proper precautions, it can be extremely dangerous. However, we have a few tips and safety precautions you can follow when deciding to grill.
- Only use grills outdoors. The use of propane and charcoal barbecue grills indoors can cause a fire in the blink of an eye.
- Place the grill away from your home as well as other things that may catch fire. If something goes wrong, your grill can ignite in flames and cause everything around it to as well.
- Always clean your grill. Sometimes, when the grill has a buildup of excess grease or fat from a previous barbecue, that can cause flames to jump up higher than normal. This can prove dangerous for you and the people around.
- Finally, never leave the grill unattended. Make sure that someone is always around the grill in the event that something does go wrong.
Even if you follow these precautions, tragedy still can strike. If you find yourself in that situation, call SERVPRO of Western Union County. We're here to help.
Odor Removal After a Fire
Here at SERVPRO of Western Union County, we know that a fire can turn your life upside-down. That is why we are so dedicated to make it look "Like it never even happened." From start to finish, we are there to make this experience as painless as possible. After a fire, one thing that affects homeowners the most is the odor left behind. Thanks to our training, certifications, and special equipment, we are able to remove the odor, often times without a trace!
Each member of our team undergoes extensive fire restoration training and certification. By doing so, our crew is best equipped to deal with the situation at hand and not only meet but exceed the industry standards.
At SERVPRO of Western Union County, we have special deodorization equipment to make sure the odor is removed. Our two main pieces of equipment, the Ultra Low Volume (ULV) Fogger and the Thermal Fogger, neutralizes the odor-causing particles and gets rid of the smell left behind from a fire.
If you experience a disaster and need help, give SERVPRO of Western Union County a call at (201) 496-6024.
Partnered with Kidde, Nationwide, Capital One, FedEx Corporation, Grainger, and State Farm, the American Red Cross has taken an initiative to help prevent home fires. According to the Red Cross, seven people every day die from a home fire. In addition, thirty six people suffer injuries as a result of home fires every single day. This results in over seven billion dollars in property damage annually. The Red Cross suggests ways to help keep your family safe in the event of a tragedy like a home fire.
- Practice your two minute drill: The Red Cross suggests practicing the escape route you and your family would take in order to escape safely from a house fire in under two minutes.
- Test your smoke alarms monthly: The Red Cross suggests to check the smoke alarms monthly soon in the event of a fire, you and your family are alerted as soon as it is detected.
To learn more, visit www.redcross.org/homefires!
Western Union County Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action!
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Fort Lee will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (201) 496-6024